Infants can’t express if they feel hot or cold. All they can do is cry, if they are uncomfortable! Even if you try to protect your baby by keeping indoors, summer is really a very tricky season to handle your baby.
Be it a new mom or an old mom, all of us will have the same questions for summer– How to care the new born, what to feed them, what should I clothe them with & loads of doubts, that will make you annoy and search the web for newborn baby care tips & get confused with millions of worthless ideas.
Don’t worry, we will resolve all your worries & queries and provide limelight on baby care in summer!
What kind of clothes should I dress my little one with?
- You should take immense care while dressing baby. Always dress your baby in comfortable and loose fitting clothes. It is an obligation that the new born should be dressed up with an extra layer. If you think that she is feeling hot, remove a layer.
- When you lay your baby down, spread a cotton cloth first & then make her lie down, particularly when you are using a synthetic bed.
- Use cotton cloth pieces to clean up the spits & drooling from your baby’s mouth.
- When you place your baby in a chair, pram or car seat, spread a cotton cloth and then placer her. This cotton fabric will absorb the extra sweat and keep the kiddo cool.
- When you take your toddler out, place a summer hat with extra rim, so that she is protected from the sun’s harmful rays. Also use long sleeved cotton wears when you are out.
- If you are trying to protect the baby from mosquitoes, cover up the arm’s and leg’s with clothes made from cotton or breathable materials.
You should try to follow all of these for your precious one, because your baby will sweat out and get dehydrated very fast, and this will also create prickly heat rashes in the baby.
Is it safe to leave him in a hot room?
- Never do that. Babies cannot sweat successfully so, he will easily get overheated than an adult.
- Never leave your kid alone in a parked car.
- Don’t dare to leave your kid alone in a hot room.
If you leave him in a room with high temperature, you are actually putting him at risk. This might make lead to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
How frequently should I give my infant a bath?
Let your baby enjoy the climate by allowing having a good time in water play. Use a bathtub or an inflated baby pool, fill it with water and put some bath toys too. They will have a great time there, but don’t let them more than 10 minutes per day.
- If you think that your baby’s skin is getting dried up, then you should be reducing the number of times of bath.
- If your baby is enjoying & feeling comfortable, then you can give her frequent baths.
- Use only warm water. It should not be too hot or too cold.
- Wash the baby carefully, concentrate more on the foldable areas of skin – neck, knees, elbows, underarms etc., wash these areas well, and take care to dry them clean after bath. This will provide with a proper baby skin care.
- Never take your baby into an air conditioned room after a shower, as he might catch a cold. Take him into a cold area only after drying & dressing him up properly.
- It is also not a good idea to take him to a hot room too. Keep him only in a normal environment.
- Cold air should not hit directly on your kid. Especially, the air from the AC or cooler.
Should if feed him with water frequently?
- If you are feeding your baby with breast milk and if he is under 6 months old, then you need not give him with water, but feed him every now and then to keep him hydrated.
- For babies older than 6 months, & those who feed on formula milk should definitely drink boiled and cooled water regularly.
- Older toddlers can also be fed with fruit juices, tender coconut, butter milk and other nutritious drinks.
Can I use sunscreen lotion/talcum powder/oil on my little one?
- If your baby is under 6 months, avoid using sunscreen lotion on her. As it may harm/irritate her skin. For babies older than 6 months, you can use a sunscreen lotion more often.
- Avoid oils for massaging, as it might create a heat rash on the skin of the baby if it is not washed off properly. If you are still persistent that you need to use oils on your baby, then try either coconut oil or olive oil.
- Usually, mothers use a lot of baby talcum powder on their babies, with a view of keeping babies cool. But, it actually causes irritation on the skin of the baby and puts her in discomfort. Never choose to buy prickly heat powder, as it will annoy the little one even more. Use it only sparingly.
Is it safe to use nappies?
Use cotton nappies, instead of disposable nappies. Disposable nappies may keep your child very hot and gift him with a rash. Cotton nappies, absorb the sweat and keeps the baby in comfort. If you are forced to use a disposable nappy for your kid, then keep him in a cool environment.
What are the common illnesses for summer Babies?
- Sun burns
- Viral infections and
- Heat stroke – This situation occurs, when the baby’s body can no longer cool by itself and starts getting too much of heat. The body temperature rises too high and the cells present in the body, begin to break down and the vital parts of the body will cease to work. If this condition is not treated on time, it will lead to a brain damage.
We have almost answered all your doubts. If you are still with doubts, our expert person is waiting to help you. All you have to do is, just post your queries in the comments box and we will respond promptly!