Food provides the body with the energy that is necessary to function. Food also plays an important role in any culture or traditions. This means, that our eating pattern is linked with our emotions too. For most of them, making a change in the eating pattern is very hard. It is because – a certain eating habit would have become a part of their daily life and it would be difficult to come out of a long practiced habit.
People nowadays are aware that unhealthy eating habits will make them gain weight and lead them to chronic diseases. But, it should be noted that, even, more processed and foods with very less nutrition will lead to poor health.
If one is aiming to develop a healthy eating habit, it should be done step by step, introducing minor changes over a long period of time. Focus on eating a well-balanced meal with variety of foods in a consistent manner will help in this regard. Developing a healthy food habit is the best way to support the body so, make the changes and see miracles on your skin and body.
Even though you are old, middle aged or a teenage, here are a few simple healthy food habits that will help you lead a healthy lifestyle:
Get Ready for the action:
You cannot reach success in a day, you have to work hard towards your goal and think about planning a healthy diet habit. Only small changes when they become your habit will help you out in the long run. Here are a few steps to help you get ready.
- Add a salad to your everyday diet
- Prepare your own healthy food – This will help you to keep a track of what you are eating.
- Stop eating unhealthy foods – especially, processed& packaged foods
- Instead of worrying over calories, think of adding variety of healthy & fresh foods to the diet.
- Check out the after eating effects – if you munch on a healthy diet, check out how fresh you feel and if you take in junk foods how much exhausted you will feel.
- Consume plenty of water – it will help in flushing out the toxins from the body. It is a common mistake in most of us to slip, thirst for hunger. So, if you are hydrated, you are making a healthy food choice.
Stay in your limits:
Only eat food, which is required by your body. The food you eat should have a balance of carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fat, proteins and fiber. In short, your food pattern should be moderate.
- Run away from temptations – if you are an avid fan of unhealthy foods, it will be really difficult for you to come out of it. You will be waiting for an opportunity to munch on those. So, do not bid a bye to unhealthy foods immediately, reduce it slowly by limiting the portions.
- Take time to eat – Do not swallow your food. Chew it slowly and then swallow. You should actually be taking twice the time of your natural consumption. Wait until you swallow the food that you have in your mouth. Do not take the next mouthful when you already have some in your mouth.
Eliminate Sugar from your diet:
The biggest problem with the diet of today’s world is – there is much sugar added to almost all food stuffs. This paves way to a lot of chronic health problems and also increases suicidal behavior in today’s generation. Sugar is hidden in canned vegetables, instant mashed potatoes, fast foods, ketchups, bread and cereals. Human body will be able to grab its required amount of sugar from all the natural stuffs taken in and it does not need any additional sugar to be added.
Eat more of fresh vegetables & Fruits
Fresh fruits and vegetables are the ones with low calories and rich nutrition. They are a rich source of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Study reveals that if a person consumes a minimum of five servings of fruit and vegetables daily, can easily cut back on unhealthy foods.
Eat foods that are rich in fiber
Fiber can help you stay healthy. It can keep all chronic diseases especially – diabetes, obesity, stroke & heart disease at bay. Experts say that, it is good to eat a minimum of 38 grams of fiber every day for good health. But, unfortunately most of us are not consuming even half the amount.
Good source of fiber content is found in wheat cereals, oatmeal, nuts, celery, tomatoes, berries, pears, citrus fruits, whole grains and barley.
Choose to eat more healthy carbohydrates
Healthy carbohydrates give a long lasting energy for the body. They help to protect against various heart diseases. Since, healthy carbohydrates will be digested slowly, they will help you feel stomach full and simultaneously maintain the stability of the blood sugar levels.
Eat at the right time
- Breakfast – Breakfast should be had in 60 minutes after waking up. It is because your body has digested all the food that it has taken in the previous night. It will be about 6-7 hours since your body had breakfast. A breakfast can be heavy. It can include heavy & nutritional diets.
- Lunch – should be taken after 4 hours of taking the breakfast.
- Dinner – should be taken after 4 hours of eating lunch and at least 3 hours before sleep.
One’s body is the world’s most precious wealth than anything on the globe. Food habits are almost linked to any complications that rise in the body. So it is always wise to keep a track on what you are eating and how you are eating. Have a healthy food habit & stay fit.